Saturday, November 24, 2007

A Challenge To Men


A Woman's Question
by Lena Lathrop


Do you know you have asked for the costliest thing,

Ever made by the Hand above?

A woman's heart and a woman's life,

And a woman's wonderful love.



Do you know you have asked for this priceless thing,

As a child might ask for a toy?

Demanding what others have died to win,

With the reckless dash of a boy.



You have written my lesson of duty out,

Manlike, you have questioned me.

Now stand at the bars of my woman's soul,

Until I have questioned thee.



You require that your mutton shall always be hot,

Your socks and your shirts be whole;

I require that your heart be as true as Yah's stars,

And as pure as His heaven, your soul.



You require a cook for your mutton and beef,

I require a far greater thing.

A seamstress you're wanting for socks and shirts,

I look for a man and a king.



A king for the beautiful realm called Home,

And a man that his Maker Yah, could,

Look upon just as He did at the first,

And say, 'it is very good'.



I am fair and young but the rose may fade,

From this soft young cheek one day;

Will you love me amid the falling leaves,

As you did 'mong the blossoms of May?



Is your heart an ocean, strong and true,

I may launch my all on its tide?

A loving woman finds heaven or hell,

On the day she is made a bride.



I require all things that are grand and free,

All things that a man should be;

If you give this all, I would stake my life,

To be all you demand of me.



If you cannot be this, a laundress and cook,

You can hire and little to pay;

But a woman's heart and a woman's life

Are not to be won that way.


I found this poem in the book "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" by Joshua Harris.He mentions that it should show us the costliness and pricelessness of a woman's love.

7 comments:

Ana said...

Robert~
What an interestingly thoughtful poem. Thank you for posting it.

Leah said...

Greetings,
Thanks you so very much for posting this. I greatly enjoyed it and it makes me what to try even harder to be pure for my (Lord willing) future husband.
My name is Leah. I am Ana's sister(anas-corner.blogspot.com), and I find your blog absolutely wonderful. Keep up the good work and it's very nice to see a man take interest in such things of life.

Miriam N. said...

What a lovely poem. I get the feeling that this person is waiting for a man to rise to her expectations and isn't about to lower herself to someone else's low expectations.

Sorry I haven't commented. It's the busy time of the year.

Robert said...

I agree with you.It reminds me of something I came across on a blog awhile back.It was a story called "Woman are like apples on a tree".Are you familiar with it?

It's ok.Busy season and I don't post too often.

Miriam N. said...

No, I wasn't familiar with it, but I searched it up and read it. It's pretty good.

Miriam N. said...

Hey, I just wanted to say I love the picture at the top of your blog!

Ana said...

Robert~
I really like the header picture you have. I liked the one before, but I like this one more! Nice pick. :)